Family Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, national origin, or sexual orientation.
For consideration or to find out more about this position, send a resume and cover letter to Family Advocates Board President Nate Loucks
Job Title: Family Advocates Director of Volunteer Services
Employee Category: Full-Time
General: Since 1990, Family Advocates has been helping at-risk families and children in La Porte County. We are now recruiting for a Volunteer Coordinator to join our caring, dedicated team. This position leads the recruitment, screening, and retention of volunteers who advocate for local families and youth, while also providing support to Family Advocates program directors. This full-time role offers a great deal of independence and decision making – and includes a flexible schedule with a great deal of variety in its weekly activities. The Volunteer Coordinator also partners with groups from across our entire community to provide public education and awareness of our programs. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone that enjoys a fast-paced schedule and cares about helping our at-risk youth!
The Volunteer Coordinator should have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in social service-related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities, including diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Work collaboratively with staff members and volunteers towards a shared goal.
- Commitment to agency programming goals and the mission of Family Advocates.
- Ability to manage time and complex tasks while balancing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfort with public speaking and facilitating groups.
- Ability to successfully complete agency screening including state and local background checks.
Accountability: The Volunteer Coordinator is hired by the Family Advocates Board of Directors on recommendation of the volunteer program Directors. The Volunteer Coordinator reports directly to the Senior Director who is responsible for his/her evaluations.
- Develop, promote, and maintain a range of volunteer opportunities within Family Advocates Programs.
- Participate in all program and agency event planning and promotion activities.
- Attend all staff meetings and agency events.
- Able to have a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
- Coordinate volunteer events, presentations, other outreach opportunities.
- Assist in development and implement of diverse volunteer recruitment strategies with Program Directors and CEO.
- Serve as initial contact person for all volunteer inquiries.
- Manage volunteer screening and acceptance process in coordination with Program Directors.
- Facilitate criminal and child abuse report checks with appropriate governmental agencies.
- Schedule training sessions: organize appropriate training materials, schedule speakers, and
provide necessary refreshments for participants.
- Coordinate and implement volunteer retention strategies for volunteers.
- Develop and implement a volunteer engagement strategy and maintain data with guidance of the
Program Directors and CEO.
- Work with Program Directors in organizing continuing education and engagement events.
- Maintain complete files for active and inactive volunteers.
- Maintain and regularly update all volunteer contact lists.
- Maintain accurate volunteer records and provide reports as necessary on volunteer recruitment,
participation, retention, and demographics.
- Maintain and manage volunteer personnel and Optima files.
Communications & Administration:
- Provide ongoing newsletter information and update agency social media with relevant volunteer
- Attend conferences/seminars/meetings as requested by the Senior Director or CEO.
- Provide office and court coverage as assigned by the volunteer program Directors.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Directors, Senior Director or CEO.